Calbar & Lolli Pop (Guest Post-Patsy Watson)

I purchased a horse that seemed perfect for me, she was so quiet. But soon I started to notice things weren’t right. She stood with her legs further underneath her than normal (camped under), she would be in a sweat if tied up in the barn and lay down more than she should. When she walked her back ankles wobbled. A friend, who is knowledgeable about horses thought she seemed depressed and had heat in her left front pastern. She suggested we try taking her to Ian.

Our trip to Ian’s takes 4 hours and when we unloaded the mare she was soaking wet with sweat. Ian had me walk her around while he watched her and then he went to work. He said she had under run heals. He put shoes on her and said she shouldn’t be ridden for awhile. After a few months he told me the more I rode her the better, as it would get the blood circulating in her foot and help with the healing.

Over the next couple of years with regular trips to Ian this horse health transformation has been wonderful to watch. There is no wobble in her ankles, she stands normal, she has energy, and her hair coat is shiny. She often is the leader taking the herd out to the pasture. When we unload her at Ian’s she is completely dry.

We believe this is all a result of her feet being properly trimmed and balanced.

We have since purchased another horse with the same problem (this is a common problem we have come to understand). She also had white line disease. 


She ended up with an abscess in her left front hoof. It burst and her hoof had a crack running the length of her hoof. Ian had to put a stitch in the crack and it has now totally healed. The pictures show her crack in her hoof after the abscess.


This one shows it healed up. I also just wanted to say, the day Ian put the"stitch": in her hoof, I must have looked worried, because I remember Ian saying to me, "If I had a dollar for everyone of these I have done I would be a millionaire". And of course it worked wonderfully as you can see by her hoof now.

When we first had this horse she would crouch down when she was mounted. She no longer does that.

Ian believes in a properly trimmed and balanced foot. For Ian, it is all about the horse. We have seen the overall health of our horses improve dramatically with regular trips to Ian.

Thanks Ian for caring.
Bob and Patsy Watson